Study Abroad: Next Steps Webinar (Fall 2021) - Shared screen with speaker view
Who can see your viewing activity?
Thank you! Are we supposed to have our cameras on?
We're set up as a webinar, so no, you can only see the screens of the presenters.
Okay, thank you!
Here is the main link for COVID Fall '21 Updateshttps://studyabroad.ncsu.edu/health-safety-abroad/covid-19/fall-2021-covid-19/
what is the current level that Sweden is at?
I assume it doesn't impact the decision but if we have a vaccine by the time we leave, would that impact our ability to travel?
Hi Mattea, you can find the US DOS info here: https://travelmaps.state.gov/TSGMap/
What do you recommend with respect to finding subleasers for the fall semester?
and here's the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/map-and-travel-notices.html
We want to make sure you have those links to find updated information later in the semester. It's still restricted now, but we're hopeful with the continued distribution of the vaccine, that it will improve in the coming months.
How do the University's travel restrictions / policies apply to direct enrollment? If countries aren't below the University's required threat level by the go/no go date, but are still admitting American citizens, can we research direct enrollment opportunities as a backup, or do the University's policies prohibit direct enrollment as well?
what is the average wait time for a visa in a direct exchange program?
Please type your questions into the Q&A, so that others can see the questions and we can address them as a group.
Hi Eva. The visa process differs by host country, so you will need to watch from instructions form the host institution/program.
If you can't find those details, you should email your program coordinator.
What if our program has TBA as the start date on the study abroad website?
Taylor, just to reiterate: the restricted travel policy applies to all intl experiences - for exchange or direct enroll.
However, you could petition to still study abroad. We'll go into more detail about that shortly.
If our university requires us to fill out an application before the go/no-go date, what should we do?
I would encourage you to petition if you'd like to proceed even if travel is still restricted based on current policy.
I would encourage you to go ahead and compelte the application - there is likely not an admin or app fee to compete that application.
What you will want to watch are when any fees are due to the host institution, like housing costs.
Before making deposits or payments to the host institution/housing - I would encourage you to really reflect and review the CDC and host country alert levels, transmission rates, etc. per the links previously provided.
This may vary by program, but submitting the host institution app, should not be committing you financially.
You could double check with your program coordinator.
Understood! Thank you. My reason for asking is that I could see a situation in which the CDC / State Department threat levels are still high on the go/no go date, but may be more favorable by the actual time the program starts. (ex. no go date is June, program doesn't start until September).I think this petition process covers my question for the most part.
Great. I think that could be possible too.
And, I think the emergency response team will be looking at trends and MAY be more likely to approve a petition if the level is still higher, but rate trends have been improving significantly.
will we get to meet other students somewhere who may be going to the same school abroad?
Thanks again! Looking forward to the next steps. We appreciate the help and guidance.